Friday, March 23, 2012

Back From KAH 2012...

Yes, that's right. This is not an illusion, folks. I'm blogging about my vacation the very next day after getting back from vacation. That vacation did me some good. :)  KAH 2012 was an amazing get away. Ahhhh Anguilla. happy sigh. :)   That island is the most beautiful place in the Caribbean! So incredibly amazing. I loved it.  I loved every part of it.  I loved how rural it is. As I sit here writing this, I want to go back.  BarclayNutt KAH forever. I hope to write an Anguilla getaway post EVERY year. :)

We flew into St Marten International Airport. A beautiful island, itself.  I wouldn't mind spending a vacation there, but I think I'd like to stay on the French side of the island.

The St. Marten airport is located right on the coast. There is a cool bar, Sunset Bar and Grill, that is right off the edge of the runway, outside the airport property.  People will sit here all day and just watch planes take off and land.  We did that a while, ourselves... (If we weren't sitting there watching it, i'd think that plane was photoshopped in!)







This is a pretty one from the water taxi taking us over to Anguilla.  Bye St. Martin...
 Our famous "first night" picture. Always with our t-shirts on.  So goofy. I love it! :)  This was at the pool bar, shortly after we checked in to our villa.
And the beauty of the island begins to show!  The island of Anguilla is only 35 square miles, so it was easy to go all over from one end to another exploring the place.  This is a view from one of the high areas on the main road.  Of course we had to get out of the car and set the timer on the camera for a group shot. I loved dressing in beach attire all week.

Our beach. This was Cove Bay beach.


A small fishing bay called Sandy Ground.  This was a beautiful area.

One of the few churches on the island. All very small in size.
One of the few schools on the island.
 Da Vita restaurant, on Crocus Bay. I loved this restaurant!


One of the places tourists can get a local tour of nearby Little Bay. We got dropped off there for a couple hours to explore.  This was one of my favorite days of exploring.  Calvin, who's office is located under that big tree, is the neighborhood tour guide. I love that!! A man and his boat.
 Hi Calvin.
Little Bay.  An amazing little beach.
Notice the cave behind that rock wall. We climbed in and explored. It was awesome! We wanted to stay the night in the cave and build a bon fire, but Calvin advised against it.  I think the cave must fill up with bats every night.


One of only a few local night spots.  They sure keep the rum punch flowing though!

Lunch on the beach, anyone?  Uncle Ernie's had great burgers. 
The island has an abundance of goats running around.
And amazing views from every angle!
Anguilla's version of "fast food".  There were many local road side food places like this one.  (Not one single chain, franchise, or anything like that on this island. Which was awesome!)  We stopped here for Johnny Cakes (which is similar to fry bread).  Although they didn't have their Johnny Cakes ready yet, they had cold beer...and a local dog that decided to befriend our rental car.
Dress up night!  And of course some pictures before heading out to another resort on the island for dinner.


Can someone say BEAUTIFUL BEACH, anyone?  Beautiful beaches and awesome snorkeling.  We saw some really pretty fish. It was also really cool snorkeling at the different beaches on the island. Each beach, although equally beautiful, had different water currents and different underwater topography. The water temperature was always perfect and the snorkeling was great!



Jeremy and Amy soaking it all in!
 The Dune Preserve beach bar. Ranked #1 Beach Bar for 2011 by CNN.  And I can see why. This place is unbelievable. Made out of drift wood and with a tree house feel, it is right on the water. The owner, Bankie Banks, lives there.  http://ivisitanguilla.com/cnn-ranks-the-dune-preserve-1/


Seriously, I had the best seat in the house!
The menu for the day. Just written down on a scrap piece of paper.


There are a few more photo's I'll post once I get Amy's pictures.  We had a picture taken with Bankie Banks, the owner of the Dune Preserve.  He's somewhat of a local celebrity around the island. A few years ago he started Moon Splash, an annual beach lovers slash reggae music event.  I'd love to go back for that some year.  This was a spectacular get away and, although I ended up getting a caribbean stomach bug that slowed me down a lot the last couple days of the trip, I think I enjoyed this island more than any of the other's we've visited on our cruises.  It was just a heavenly place. We'll be back, Anguilla. We'll be back!  KAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment