Wednesday, September 2, 2009

What Keeps My Sanity In Check

My experiences over the past 37 years have taught me that my happiness and sanity comes from maintaining 2 separate lives for myself. My work life and my home life. When one starts to seep into the other it causes unnecessary and unwanted drama. I'm more joyful in both of my two environments when they are maintained individually and free from each other. I am working at a facility where I have chosen, for the first time in my professional career, to not develop any emotionally attached friendships with any of my co-workers, fellow directors, or my boss... "friendships" meaning spending time with co-workers outside of work, on weekends, or at social things outside the requirements of the job. Mixing work and play is hard to balance and when the balance is off, personal drama ensues.

At age 37 I feel more comfortable, confident and content in my own skin than I've ever been in any of the previous chapters of my life. I'm enjoying this more and more each day. However, I'm having trouble with the 3-years-from-40 equation. I've not really been one to notice my age at any time throughout my life, but this year it's been sitting annoyingly and noticeably on my back like the too large shoulder pad of an oversized, out of fashion 1990's button-up shirt. Should I be excited that I'm 3 years from 40 and think of it as a glowing milestone in life that will transport me to another dimension where the motto plays out to be true... life really does start at 40?. If I can roll into my 40's rockin it like Diane Lane or Jennifer Aniston, then bring it on I say! BTW, I'm back to running three nights a week and it feels great! I'm also attempting to change my grocery shopping habits and buy more organic. More on all this on a later post. .....Back to my 2-separate-lives theory of happiness....

I love my work life and everything about my job, including the people and tasks that make it what it is. I couldnt imagine doing anything different or being anywhere else. I'm fulfilled professionally by conquering the challenges of healthcare human resources and operations and celebrating the small but frequent victory's that come around quite often when you make a conscious effort to notice them.

I love my home life and everything about my awesome family and friends. We support each other unconditionally and never begrudge each other our joys. We play hard because we know we work hard to be able to. We enjoy life's ups and downs and laugh often with each other. Discussing memories we've made together, dreams we've yet to achieve, and all the blessings in our life is how we pass the time when we're together. Time passes quickly and joyfully.

I love my two lives and what each require of me. Keeping my efforts separate, and taking a break every day from each one, is what keeps me loving them both. That's what keeps me happy and sane, and loving it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment