Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Week 38...Rylie's Birth Story

On the way home from work Monday night (6-21-2010), two weeks before my due date, I stopped by the store to pick up a few things.  I was feeling a little bad, which wasn't unusual at this point, but it was more noticeably bad, so I decided to take my blood pressure at the pharmacy. It was 143 over 106.  Of course I thought that couldn't be right. So I took it again. Sure enough, similar reading.  I called Brian and told him I was going to call my OB's office and talk to the on call doctor, just to be safe.  With my scheduled appointment the next day, I didn't want to be a pest, but I wanted to be safe and not worry about it all night long.

The doctor said I should go ahead and go up to the hospital labor and delivery department just to be hooked up to the monitors to have myself and Rylie monitored for a little while so we could make sure everything was okay.  Once we got there my blood pressure was still just as high so they took some blood and watched me for a while.  Soon the nurse came back in and said she talked to the doctor and they were going to go ahead and admit me so they could induce me the next morning.  Wow. What a rush of feelings that came over me all of a sudden, excitement, nerves, joy.  We were going to have a baby!

They put me on a slow petocin drip to help soften my cervix that night, and the plan was to up the petocin the next morning to start labor.  What sucked about the ordeal is that they also had to give me a magnesium drip. Due to some preeclampsia symptoms, my platelet count was low. The magnesium is the only way to increase my platelet count, which was a must since that is what causes your blood to clot correctly.  Two horrible things about magnesium intravenously...it causes flu like symptoms and it also works against the petocin. So in addition to the labor pains, I was also puking and felt really bad.

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010.  My mom, sister, and Brian's parents all show up at the hospital about 7:00am.  They were just as excited as we were to finally meet Ms. Rylie.  At 8:00am my doctor broke my water and upped my petocin.  Contractions really started getting more frequent and harder throughout the day and by that evening I was only dilated to a 6.  At 5:00pm I decided to get an epidural.  That was nice! However, by 8:00pm that evening, I still wasn't dilated past a 6 and Rylie hadn't moved down into the birth canal like the doctor was wanting.  And since the magnesium was working against the petocin, she wasn't sure how long it would take for me to have her vaginally. She recommended a c-section.

So, at 9:23pm on June 22, 2010, at 8 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches long, the most beautiful girl in the world was born!  Welcome home Rylie Sophia Nutt.

Holding daddy's hand already! 

Gramma Moss

Pops and Nana Nutt

Aunt Tay Tay (Tracie)
Our new little family....


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story!!! I was getting status updates from Brian and felt like I was in the loop, but it didn't do justice to Riley's birth story. Mikayla tells everyone that Riley is out of your tummy now and prepared her dolls cradle in case you visit!! Too funny huh?
    Hug the new daddy, the beautiful baby girl and take care of yourself!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized...many days too late.... that I misspelled Rylie's name in my comment...SO SORRY!!!!!! How is she doing? How are you guys doing?? I can't believe she's almost a month old!!! Where does the time go??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacie, I'm still waiting to hear from you....Rylie is just beautiful....Please don't forget you have another brother and sister in Kansas....Gwen

    ReplyDelete