Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands

Today was were at Grand Turk for the day. We were here 2 years ago on our honeymoon cruise and I absolutely loved it. Its some of the best snorkeling I've ever done. We didnt book any excursions for this stop. We just beached it all day. The island looked a bit more inhabited than 2 years ago. Last time we were here there was only one restaurant on the island, Margaritaville. There was a second food/drink hut this time and they were building an additional pier down the beach from the Carnival pier. Their port shopping area was larger and they had more shops this time. Of course everything says "made in china", that's funny!

There is a lot of history in Grand Turk. It was founded hundreds of years ago and there are still wild horses and flamingos roaming the island. It is said that these islands were founded in 1492 by Columbus, but some argue that Ponce De Leon actually founded the islands prior to that. Astronaut John Glenn landed down at these islands in 1962, and since that time the Turks and Caicos Islands have become more well known to travelers.

When we were here 2 years ago I found a sand dollar while snorkeling. I was able to baby it and brought it back home with me.  I looked for one this time and found a small one, the size of a quarter. When I dove down to pick it up, it crumbled in my hands. At least I have the memory of finding one this time too.

We started the night off by attending the Captains "Past Guest" mixer and enjoyed the free champagne. The cruise ship is celebrating halloween so there are many spooky decorations up tonight. They are having a costume contest for both kids and adults. Brian and I did our fair share of bar hopping this evening and even spent some time in the sports bar so he could try and catch up on sports news. 

Time to hit the Lido Deck for some soft serve chocolate ice creme. My nightly favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment