Friday, October 23, 2009

Nassau, Bahamas

It's Friday!  Our last stop, boooooooo! We woke up early this morning to get off the ship for our excursion. We booked a booze cruise. There was a note under our door saying the excursion was cancelled due to operational difficulties. Booooooo! So we went back to bed and slept in, really slept in. So we get up at 11:00am and head to the Lido Deck for breakfast. Then make our plans for the day. Since we didnt have an excursion to make, we decided to freestyle it.

We walked about a half mile and found the closest beach access, swam and laid in the Bahama sun for a while. Then we walked some more while indulging in the local beverage, Khalik Beer. Nassau is really great. Hot, dirty, and poor, like a lot of those caribbean islands, But I love it, it's gorgeous. It's where Anna Nicole Smith is burried, you know, and we went right by the hospital where her son died. It was a bit surreal, seeing it so many times during the media frenzy at the time of that story (yes, I read rag mags!) and then being there right in front of it. Pretty cool in a dorky sort of way.

The straw market and the little bars were great. Of course Senior Frogs was fun, but it didnt beat the un-commercialized atmosphere of the smaller bars.

We got back on the ship around 2:00pm and went back to our room so I could sit on the deck and finish some reading. I'm finishing the book The Shack, by Wm. Paul Young. For anyone not knowing or having a relationship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, this is a must read. I must confess, I've lived my life beliveing in God, but not really understanding The Father, The Son, and The Holy Ghost meaning. This book has been an enlightening enjoyment. I've been particularly attached to page 127. Even as I past this page, I kept coming back to it and reading it again. Please, someone else read it and tell me what I'm attached to. This book seems to keep my inner fire burning for the faith I've always wanted to feel. I cant explain it in terms of what people could say i've usually commuicated my faith with....but it has touched me in ways i'd like to communicate now. If I could recommend any book this year, it's The Shack.

Nassau, Bahamas was awesome. Brian and I had laugh after laugh after laugh. We walked the steets of Nassau and enjoyed being with each other.  I love the way Brian travels and he loves the way I travel. We are always on the same agenda and love to do the same things. We love a certain amount of the touristy stuff and then love to get off the beaten path and risk a little unfamiliarity in conquering the uncertainty of the non-touristy stuff.  As long as we are in it together, we'll be fine. That is our motto!

Tonight, we leave the Bahamas and head home. I think we are both really anxious to get home and start our routine once again.....a little bit sad that we are leaving pardise, but knowing that our love for one another creates our own paradise within a small town called Tulsa, Oklahoma.  xoxo Stacie

No comments:

Post a Comment